Death of Vajpayee end of an era its a personal loss for

first_img SHARE SHARE EMAIL August 16, 2018 people SHARE Published on COMMENT politics Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said the passing away of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee marks the end of an era and termed it as a “personal and irreplaceable” loss for him. He said the BJP patriarch lived for the nation and served it assiduously for decades while noting that it was Vajpayee’s exemplary leadership that set the foundations for a strong, prosperous and inclusive India in the 21st century. Vajpayee died at the AIIMS hospital here this evening at the age of 93 following prolonged illness. “Atal Ji’s passing away is a personal and irreplaceable loss for me. I have countless fond memories with him. He was an inspiration to Karyakartas like me. I will particularly remember his sharp intellect and outstanding wit. “It was Atal Ji’s exemplary leadership that set the foundations for a strong, prosperous and inclusive India in the 21st century. His futuristic policies across various sectors touched the lives of each and every citizen of India,” Modi tweeted. He said it was due to Vajpayee’s perseverance and struggles that the BJP was built brick by brick. “He travelled across the length and breadth of India to spread the BJP’s message, which led to the BJP becoming a strong force in our national polity and in several states,” he said. Modi said India grieves the demise of Vajpayee. “My thoughts are with his family, BJP Karyakartas and millions of admirers in this hour of sadness. Om Shanti,” he added. death COMMENTS Prime Minister Narendra Modi (file photo).last_img read more

Johor DOE raids three illegal factories in Pasir Gudang

first_img Related News Nation 08 Jul 2019 Round-the-clock air quality monitoring at Pasir Gudang schools JOHOR BARU (Bernama): Three factories believed to be operating illegally in Pasir Gudang were raided and action taken against them by enforcement authorities in an integrated operation.This followed the recent incident where residents suffered breathing difficulties and vomiting.Director of the Johor Department of Environment (DOE) Wan Abdul Latiff Wan Jaafar said the operation by various agencies on Thursday (July 11) halted the operations of these factories, with equipment in one factory confiscated. The Pasir Gudang Municipal Council (MPPG) also sealed off the three factories. {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} Nation 11 Jul 2019 Why buy unsuitable gas detectors for Pasir Gudang, asks Wanita MCAcenter_img Nation 11 Jul 2019 DOE’s gas detectors not suitable for schools, says MCA Related News “One factory was believed to be recycling used items such as plastics and oil. Another was dealing with metals and the third was separating solid wastes,” he told Bernama on Friday (July 12).As of 5pm on July 11, the integrated operation which included various government agencies like the DoE and the MPPG inspected 248 factories.Also in the raiding party were Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change Minister Yeo Bee Yin and chairman of the state Local Government, Urban Wellbeing and Environment Committee Tan Cheng Choon.Wan Abdul Latiff said 125 compounds were issued for disposal of scheduled wastes, 10 for industrial effluents and one for sewage plant.He added that although the initial target of inspecting 250 factories was almost achieved, the department would continue with more inspections.”We will continue to conduct as many (checks on factories) as possible. I want to do more (than 250 factories),” he said.According to a posting on the DoE account on Facebook on July 11, the focus of the operations was on illegal factories.Besides the stop-work order, other action taken against these factories included cutting off electricity supply. – Bernamalast_img read more

Britain sends second warship to gulf amid tensions with Iran Sky

first_imgSky said the destroyer HMS Duncan, which had been earmarked for deployment in the region anyway although not so soon, would sail to the Gulf in the next few days to join the frigate HMS Montrose. Britain’s Ministry of Defence had no immediate comment on the report. (Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by Stephen Addison) World 11 Jul 2019 Gibraltar police arrest captain of detained Iranian tanker Related News Related News World 11 Jul 2019 UK will not escort all its ships near Iran, does not want to escalate tensions – sourcecenter_img World 11 Jul 2019 Iran’s Revolutionary Guards deny trying to stop British tanker in Gulf – Fars news LONDON (Reuters) – Britain is sending a second warship to the Gulf amid growing tensions with Iran after Royal Marines seized an Iranian tanker off the coast of Gibraltar last week, Sky News reported. {{category}} {{time}} {{title}}last_img read more

Bihar fears floods as heavy rains swell rivers

first_img Indo-Asian News Service PatnaJuly 13, 2019UPDATED: July 13, 2019 17:17 IST PTI image used for representation.After drought-like situation till last week, Bihar now fears floods as the water levels of several rivers have been rising following heavy rains in the past six days.According to a state disaster department official here on Saturday, the rising water levels of Koshi, Gandak, Budhi Gandak, Ganga and Bagmati rivers are causing panic among the people living near the banks.According to reports, hundreds of people have fled or are fleeing their homes in Supaul, Muzaffarpur, East Champaran, West Champaran, Araria and Kishanganj districts.The Water Resources Department had issued a high alert in vulnerable districts, particularly bordering Nepal, said an official.North Bihar districts received a record rainfall during the last 24 hours with East Champaran reporting 214.92 mm rain, Sitamarhi 154.55 mm and Muzaffarpur 125.15 mm, said a Meteorological Department officials.In Motihari, district headquarters of East Champaran, incessant rainfall for the last four days caused waterlogging in the town. District Magistrate Raman Kumar had ordered the closing of schools and other educational institutions till July 15, district disaster officer Anil Kumar said.Schools have also been closed in Araria and Kishanganj districts in view of the threat of flood.Though the rising water levels have raised pressure on embankments at several places, officials claimed they were safe and there was no need to panic. The state government has alerted engineers concerned and asked them to keep 24-hour vigil.”All engineers have been directed to be ready with necessary equipment and boulders to face any situation and protect the embankments,” an official of Water Resource Department said.The government claimed that the eastern Kosi embankment, which was breached in 2008 causing a severe flood in five districts of northern Bihar, was safe. “The embankment has been strengthened and breach repair work completed,” said an official.In 2008, more than three million people were rendered homeless in Bihar when the Kosi river breached banks upstream in Nepal and changed course. It was said to be the worst flood in Bihar in the last 50 years.Also Read | Assam flood situation worsens, Army called inAlso Read | Floods affect 8 lakh in Assam, 10 dead across Northeast as rains lash region | 10 pointsAlso Watch | In Depth: Decoding the link between floods and droughtsFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byChanchal Chauhan Bihar fears floods as heavy rains swell riversAccording to a state disaster department official here on Saturday, the rising water levels of Koshi, Gandak, Budhi Gandak, Ganga and Bagmati rivers are causing panic among the people living near the banks.advertisement Nextlast_img read more

Karnataka crisis 4 MLAs leave Renaissance hotel in Mumbai

first_imgKarnataka crisis: 4 MLAs leave Renaissance hotel in MumbaiFour MLAs, including BC Patil, were spotted leaving the hotel in a car towards Siddhivinayak temple. However, their destination could not be confirmed.advertisement India Today Web Desk New DelhiJuly 12, 2019UPDATED: July 12, 2019 18:45 IST BC Patil (seen in centre in black shirt) was among four MLAs who left the hotel on Friday afternoon (ANI photo | File)Moments after Karnataka Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy sought to move trust vote in the assembly, four out of 10 MLAs staying at the Renaissance hotel in Mumbai left the premises. BC Patil was among the MLAs who left the hotel.They were spotted leaving the hotel in a car towards Siddhivinayak temple. However, their destination could not be confirmed.Congress and JD (S) have issued a whip to their MLAs asking them to attend the ongoing budget session in the assembly or face action. However, the MLAs have said that the whip is not applicable as they have already resigned as legislators.But, Supreme Court has directed Speaker Ramesh Kumar to maintain status quo on the resignations tendered by 10 rebel MLAs, who had moved the court against him. The court asked the speaker not take any decision on resignation or disqualification until the court has had time to go through all the facts in the matter.Read | Why is Karnataka government always in jeopardy?Read | Karnataka crisis: CM Kumaraswamy seeks floor test, says he is ready for anythingRead | Karnataka crisis: No decision on rebel MLAs till July 16, SC tells SpeakerWatch | Karnataka crisis: Rebel MLAs return to MumbaiFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byArshi Aggarwal Nextlast_img read more

Privacy of citizens a severe casualty under BJP govt Surjewala

first_imgPrivacy of citizens a severe casualty under BJP govt: SurjewalaCongress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said it was not just the “big brother” but his crony friends are watching too.advertisement Press Trust of India New DelhiJuly 12, 2019UPDATED: July 12, 2019 23:41 IST Randeep Singh Surjewala. (Photo: PTI)The Congress Friday accused the Narendra Modi government of selling personal data of citizens and said privacy has become a severe casualty under the BJP rule.Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said it was not just the “big brother” but his crony friends are watching too.”Privacy of citizens has become a severe casualty under BJP Govt! Quietly the Govt has sold your driving licence data to private companies who can misuse it for their commercial gains! Not only Big Brother is watching, but his crony friends are too,” he said on Twitter.He cited a news report, which alleged that the government has given out data of citizens, while levelling the charges.Also Read | 3 ex-Congress MLAs likely to be inducted in Goa cabinetAlso Read | BJP approached Goa MLAs, offered ministerial berths: A ChellakumarAlso Watch | Now, 10 Goa Congress MLAs decide to join BJP, meet SpeakerFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byShifa Naseer Tags :Follow SurjewalaFollow congress Nextlast_img read more