Jakarta, for example, has eight penitentiaries and detention centers that jointly hold 18,531 inmates, far higher than the total capacity of 5,791 prisoners, according to data updated on March 9 from the Law and Human Rights Ministry’s Correctional Facilities Directorate General. That means an overcrowding rate of 320 percent.With 675 COVID-19 patients as of Sunday, the capital city has been dubbed the national epicenter of the outbreak.”Under the current conditions, we should avoid imprisoning people as best as we can,” the advocacy groups’ statement said on Monday. “This is a good step toward using a restorative justice concept.”Read also: Overcrowded and understaffed, prisons scramble to protect inmates from infectionThe World Health Organization (WHO) has made a similar recommendation, encouraging countries around the world to reduce the number of inmates to prevent a massive spread of the contagious respiratory illness.The groups also called on judges to choose rehabilitation for drug convicts over imprisonment, as drug offense was the country’s top criminal act brought to trials. “Based on their assessment and a recommendation from doctors and labs, judges can decide to order rehabilitation,” the statement reads.The request was in line with measures taken by the government regarding arrest procedures. Law and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly sent a letter on March 24 to the Supreme Court chief justice requesting that the judicial body put suspects under house arrest or city arrest instead of imprisoning them at penitentiaries, citing Article 22 of the Criminal Law Procedures Code. The minister also sought to temporarily stop people from visiting the penitentiaries, extend terms of imprisonment and conduct trials via online video conference.The Supreme Court issued on Saturday an instruction to proceed with trials via teleconference. Attorney General’s Office spokesperson Hari Setiyono told the Post that “trials could proceed via teleconference.” (dfr)Topics : “If someone is subject to arrest, his family can pay a sum of money as a guarantee that he will not run away.”The request came in light of the growing number of coronavirus cases in Indonesia. Both government and advocacy groups have highlighted the need for preventive measures against the fast-spreading respiratory illness in penitentiary facilities.As of Monday afternoon Indonesia has reported 1,414 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 122 fatalities.Three members of the coalition, namely the ICJR, the Research and Advocacy Institute of Court Independence (LeIP) and Indonesian Judicial Research Society (IJRS) also emphasized in a separate statement that “the overcrowding issue and the spread of COVID-19 make penitentiaries not a safe place” to have people serving their prison terms. A coalition of legal watchdogs has urged law enforcement to temporarily refrain from putting more people in penitentiaries to help slow the spread of COVID-19.Law enforcement could instead use a bail system for light offenses and criminal acts without victims or violence, according to the Justice Monitoring Coalition, which comprises 16 legal advocacy groups.“It is essentially a suspension,” Erasmus Napitupulu, executive director of the Institute for Criminal Justice Reform (ICJR), which is grouped under the coalition, told The Jakarta Post on Monday.
Lukas visited Gatot Subroto Regional General Hospital (RSPAD) in Central Jakarta for his medical checkup, he added.Rumors emerged on Tuesday afternoon that Lukas was ill and had flown to Jakarta to seek treatment after reports said that the governor had chartered an airplane to visit the capital.Ridwan emphasized that Lukas had been tested for COVID-19 in March and the result came back negative.Lukas left Papua on Monday night because he had to finish several documents related to the COVID-19 response in Papua, he added. The Papua administration has said that Governor Lukas Enembe flew in the early hours of Tuesday to Jakarta for a scheduled medical checkup, dismissing rumors that he had contracted COVID-19.Ridwan Rumasukun, the Papua administration’s acting secretary, said that Lukas flew to Jakarta using a chartered plane with his doctor and some family members.”He was supposed to go for a medical checkup last week but he was unable to do that due to his tight schedule,” Ridwan said in a press conference on Tuesday. “The governor used a chartered plane because there is no commercial flight to and from Papua since the region implemented physical and social distancing policy to contain COVID-19,” he said.Papua has restricted entry into the province by sea and air to stem the spread of COVID-19 in Indonesia’s easternmost region, which, as of Tuesday, had recorded 68 positive cases of COVID-19 with three fatalities.The country’s official tally is currently at least 4,839 confirmed cases with 459 deaths across the archipelago.Papua’s COVID-19 task force head Silvanus Simule concurred with Ridwan, saying that Lukas departed to Jakarta for a routine medical checkup, not seeking treatment for COVID-19.”The governor has taken a PCR test and the result was negative. He will practice 14 days self-quarantine after returning from Jakarta,” Silvanus said. (nal)Topics :
Several agencies are searching for a man who was reportedly swept out to sea late on Saturday afternoon after being caught in a rip current at Fort Pierce Inlet State Park.According to 27-year-old Anthony Gram’s family, he saved his 11-year-old and 13-year-old stepchildren from the rip current just before disappearing.The Coast Guard adds that Gram was last seen wearing dark navy blue or black shorts. Rescue crews from the Coast Guard, Port St. Lucie Police Department and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission are searching the water.Anyone with information about Gram’s whereabouts is being urged to call the Coast Guard at (786) 367-7649.
Il FORNAIO: A Group I winner at age three in his native Argentina, Il Fornaio, a 5-year-old horse by the Lure stallion, Orpen, has been idle since July 11, 2015 and will make his U.S. debut for trainer Ron McAnally on Saturday. Second, beaten a neck, in a one mile turf Group I on June 27, 2015, Il Fornaio was a two-time allowance winner sprinting seven furlongs on turf at age three, showing ample early foot on both occasions. Owned by Edward Goldstone, Il Fornaio has four wins from nine Argentine starts. ARCADIA, Calif. (March 30, 2016)–Course specialist Guns Loaded heads a field of nine older horses in Saturday’s Grade III, $100,000 San Simeon Stakes at 6 ½ furlongs down Santa Anita’s unique hillside turf course. GUNS LOADED: Trained by Doug O’Neill, this 5-year-old Florida-bred gelding by D’wildcat comes off an emphatic 2 ¼ length win over the course in the Joe Hernandez Stakes on Feb. 28, and he seeks his third consecutive win on Saturday. Claimed five starts back, he’s won three out of his five starts for O’Neill and has two wins and a second from five tries down the hillside turf. Owned by Westside Rentals.com, Neil Haymes, Leove Rodriguez or Steve Rothblum, Guns Loaded has an effective stalking style and will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano, who replaces the recently injured Santiago Gonzalez. Guns Loaded is 25-7-3-4 overall with earnings of $346,570. HAY DUDE: Trained by Phil D’Amato, this 6-year-old English-bred gelding was a close second in his only hillside try, the restricted Clockers’ Corner Stakes, five starts back in January, 2015. Owned by Anthony Fanticola and Joseph Scardino, he tried runaway tactics in the Grade II San Marcos Stakes here on Feb. 6, and cuts way back in distance from a mile and a quarter on turf. A sharp gate to wire allowance winner going one mile on turf two starts back on Jan. 14, Hay Dude will likely be mid-pack early in the San Simeon. THE GRADE III SAN SIMEON STAKES IN POST POSITION ORDER WITH JOCKEYS AND WEIGHTSRace 7 (of 11) Approximate post time, 3:35 p.m. PDT Cape Wolfe–Flavien Prat–120Sexy–Agapito Delgadillo–120Producer–Drayden Van Dyke–120No Silent–Gary Stevens–124Hay Dude–Tyler Baze–120Il Fornaio–Joe Talamo–120Guns Loaded–Rafael Bejarano–120Outside Nashville–Martin Garcia–120Aotearoa–Brice Blanc–120First post time for an 11-race card on Saturday is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 p.m. PRODUCER: A Group III winner going seven furlongs on turf in his native England at age two, 7-year-old Producer has been idle for 55 weeks and will make his U.S. debut for trainer Neil Drysdale and Calumet Farm in the San Simeon. Winless since venturing to Turkey for a Group II triumph at one mile on turf 10 starts back in September, 2013, Producer has his measure of back class but would appear to be in need of a recent race in order to show his best. His overall mark stands at 29-8-4-1 and he has earnings of $694,419.