2009 Year End Stats Available

first_imgNova Scotia welcomed 2,093,500 visitors in 2009, which provided an the economic impact of $1.31 billion according to a preliminary revenue estimate. The total number of visitors to the province increased by one per cent in 2009 and the number of room nights sold decreased by 97,000 or four per cent. “We held our own in 2009 and are doing all we can to attract visitors in 2010,” said Percy Paris, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage. “As we get ready to roll out our marketing activities for the coming year, we will continue to work with the industry as we move forward to strengthen tourism here in Nova Scotia.” Overall in 2009, the majority of visitors, 88 per cent, came from other parts of Canada, with nine per cent from the United States, and three per cent from overseas. About 70 per cent of visitors to Nova Scotia travelled by road, with the remaining 30 per cent arriving by air. The number of visitors from other parts of Canada increased slightly by 23,600 or one per cent. There was a six percent decrease or 4,300 fewer overseas visitors. The downward trend of American visitors to Canada continued in 2009, with 6,500 or three per cent fewer visitors from the United States. Nova Scotia’s comprehensive system for reporting tourism statistics includes counting overnight visitors, excluding Nova Scotia residents, at all entry points to the province, and gathering the number of room nights sold from all licensed accommodation operators. Detailed tourism statistics and the 2009 Tourism Activity Review can be found on the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage website at www.gov.ns.ca/tch/tourism/research.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *