COCKHILL BRIDGE ACTION GROUP LAUNCH SCATHING ATTACK ON POLITICIANS

first_imgA recent protest by locals at Cockhill Bridge in Buncrana.THE Cockhill Bridge Action Group has launched a scathing attack on local politicians after the met Minister Pascal Donohoe last week.The group says the minister’s rejection of a new for a new bridge was a damning indictment of the local councillors who met him.“The minister for transport was not convinced by the 6 local Inishowen councillors and officials who met him in Dublin last Wednesday that any money should be spent on fixing the road safety issue at Cockhill,” said spokesman Tony Grant. “They failed to present him with all the facts which resulted in him having to send them back to Donegal to do their homework.“After the meeting, the councillors spoke to the media and tried to put a brave face on it, saying that the minister listened very carefully to what they said, but failed to inform the people back home in Inishowen of what they presented to the minister.”The group said the written submission to the minister should be made public for all of us to see just how well we were represented at that meeting.And they asked the following questions, asking did the politicians ask them: * The provision of a pedestrian footbridge to safely remove pedestrians from the existing bridge.* The whereabouts of the Development Levies, previously raised from housing developments in the area, specifically for the purpose of building a pedestrian bridge and formed part of the planning approval for those housing estates.* The fact that Donegal County Council felt pressured by our road safety campaign to “be seen to do something” due to the fear of litigation for negligence resulting from the prior public notice given by Cockhill Bridge Action Group and felt forced to come up with a “temporary” solution of erecting traffic lights at three junctions at the bridge.* An overall integrated plan for Cockhill that would include a pedestrian footbridge, a main road bridge and the retention of the existing heritage bridge as part of the overall solution.“We are not surprised that the minister sent them home early to gather all the facts. As a result of their unwillingness to consult with the local community groups and to gather all the facts in order to find the best solution, the project has been further delayed,” said the spokesman. “Surely the most important issues here is the preservation of life, children are put at risk on a daily basis as they try to negotiate their way across the Cockhill bridge. The first step should be to remove them from that danger by providing a pedestrian footbridge.“We in the Cockhill Bridge Action Group remain committed to working with all the stakeholders to find the safest outcome to the road safety issues at Cockhill.”COCKHILL BRIDGE ACTION GROUP LAUNCH SCATHING ATTACK ON POLITICIANS was last modified: April 5th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:action groupCockhillMinisterlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *