Sustained retreat of the Pine Island Glacier

first_imgWe use satellite observations to show that, between 1992 and 2011, the Pine Island Glacier hinge line retreated at a rate of 0.95 ± 0.09 km yr−1 despite a progressive steepening and shoaling of the glacier surface and bedrock slopes, respectively, which ought to impede retreat. The retreat has remained constant because the glacier terminus has thinned at an accelerating rate of 0.53 ± 0.15 m yr−2, with comparable changes upstream. This acceleration is consistent with an intensification of ocean-driven melting in the cavity beneath the floating section of the glacier. The pattern of hinge-line retreat meanders and is concentrated in isolated regions until ice becomes locally buoyant. Because the glacier-ocean system does not appear to have reached a position of relative stability, the lower limit of sea level projections may be too conservative.last_img read more

Bali hamlet put under lockdown after tests indicate over 400 people ‘reactive’ to virus

first_imgBangli regency subsequently decided to put the hamlet under lockdown to prevent the virus from further spreading. With residents no longer allowed to leave the area, authorities prepared on Friday public kitchens within the hamlet to serve food.”Starting Thursday, Serokadan hamlet in Abuan village is isolated, closed. No one is allowed to enter or leave the hamlet,” he said.The rapid tests in Abuan village took place following findings that eight of the village’s residents contracted the virus through local transmission after reportedly coming into contact with a migrant worker who had just returned from abroad but ignored self-quarantine protocol.Medical workers were set to continue with more rapid testing on Friday, targeting tests on more than 2,600 residents in the village. Serokadan hamlet in Abuan village, Bangli regency, located in the central part of Bali, was put under lockdown on Thursday after rapid tests indicated it was probable that hundreds of its residents were infected by the coronavirus. The Bali provincial COVID 19 task force team took 1,200 blood samples from residents of the hamlet on Thursday, of which more than 400 returned “reactive” results after rapid testing.”We have followed up the rapid test results by taking swab samples for further PCR [polymerase chain reaction] tests to get accurate results on whether they are positive for COVID-19 or not. Of course, we will use the swab test results as the final results,” the task force’s executive chairman, Dewa Made Indra, said. Some 200 residents of Padang Kerta village in Karangasem regency also took part in COVID-19 rapid testing after authorities found that six villagers tested positive for the coronavirus.The infected villagers were identified following contact tracing of a migrant worker who tested positive for COVID-19 after returning from overseas.“We have conducted rapid tests in Padang Kerta village. So far, we found 12 people with ‘reactive’ results,” Dewa Made Indra said.Read also: Indonesia’s strategy to end COVID-19 outbreak lacks effectiveness: StudyBali, which has seen its tourism plummet due to the pandemic, has thus far recorded at least 235 coronavirus cases with four fatalities, according to the central government’s official tally on Friday.At least eight of the infected people on the resort island are foreigners, while some 137 cases were imported. The province recorded 57 cases as a result of local transmission.Concerns have been raised over Balinese migrant workers who returned home from abroad, including those employed on international cruise liners, as 134 out of 137 imported cases were those of migrant workers who returned to Bali.More than 10,000 migrant workers have reportedly returned to the island since March. Authorities said thousands more workers might come home soon.It is estimated that around 20,000 Balinese are working abroad, mostly in tourism as crew members of cruise ships.Bali has implemented special protocol in handling the influx of migrant workers, including by providing special quarantine facilities in hotels and government compounds.Before the new protocol was implemented, the government allowed migrant workers from overseas to return home provided they self-quarantine. Several migrant workers, however, reportedly ignored health protocols, putting local residents at risk.Topics :last_img read more

Quarterback Eric Dungey: ‘I’m not going to be running nearly as much’

first_img Published on February 23, 2016 at 11:38 am Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman Eric Dungey didn’t see the movie “Concussion.” It wasn’t deliberate, he just prefers Netflix. And 113 days since last addressing the media, the rising sophomore quarterback avoided delving into his own head injuries while professing a flawless bill of health.“I never really thought about that,” Dungey said, regarding if one more hit to the head would’ve changed his career. “I think it’s more talk and rumors … I’m 100 percent healthy and I’m looking forward to this season.”The last time Dungey was dressed and in a game, he was being helped off the field after taking a fourth-quarter hit to the head against Louisville on Nov. 7. It was the fourth noticeable hit to that area he had taken in the season on top of ones against Central Michigan, Virginia and Pittsburgh. He missed the last three games of the year as walk-on Zack Mahoney manned a Syracuse offense that sputtered to a 4-8 finish.Tuesday morning marked the first day of spring practice for the Orange under its new coaching staff, and Dungey spoke inside the Ensley Athletic Center following his first action in an offense that will put him at less risk.“With this new offense I’m not really taking the load as I did last year,” Dungey said. “I’m not going to be running nearly as much.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Dungey was listed at 202 pounds last season but now weighs 216, he said. He’s trying to reach 225 by the start of the season and was visibly bigger in his upper body on Tuesday.“I mean have you seen it, he’s huge!” wide receiver Steve Ishmael said. “I’m like, ‘Man, I’m jealous of you.’ He’s going to be able to take a lot more hits.”As a freshman, Dungey threw for 1,298 yards and 11 touchdowns while running for 351 yards and five scores. First-year head coach Dino Babers has said Syracuse won’t huddle, and that its high-powered offense that has roots in Baylor’s up-tempo system will open eyes in the Carrier Dome.Its maestro, the player with parts of only eight college games under his belt, didn’t ever think that one more hit to the head would’ve prevented him from directing that new-look offense. That, to him, was all talk and rumors.And his coach, at least for the time being, expressed none of the hesitation or critique that clouded around him last year.“I can’t predict the future,” Babers said. “I just know that he was out there today and looked good.” Comments Related Stories Alex Hayes dismissed, Ben Lewis leaves program and other notes from Syracuse football’s updated rosterBlum: Eric Dungey should have been taken out before 4th-quarter injuryScott Shafer on Eric Dungey: ‘He needs to learn how to throw the ball away’Zack Mahoney becomes Syracuse starter just weeks removed from being 5th-stringerEric Dungey leans on identical circumstance, humble persona to take reins of SU offense Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Who is the new Bachelorette? Meet Clare Crawley, the 38-year-old lead for 2020

first_imgABC sent shockwaves throughout Bachelor Nation on Monday when Clare Crawley was announced as the lead for season 16 of “The Bachelorette.” ABC didn’t go the typical route of choosing someone from the current season of “The Bachelor” like Kelsey Weier or even dipping into the last few seasons for a lead like Tayshia Adams. Some hoped the franchise would pull a “Brad Womack” and bring Hannah Brown back for a second go-around.Instead, the decision was made to go back to 2014 with Crawley, who was the runner-up on Juan Pablo Galavais’s season.​​ Crawley was last seen on a Bachelor series in 2018, when she got engaged to Benoit Beausejour-Savard on “Bachelor Winter Games.” The couple split up two months after their engagement. Crawley also tried to find love on seasons one and two of “Bachelor in Paradise” but had no luck.Here’s what you need to know about the new Bachelorette as she begins another journey to find love.How old is Clare Crawley?Crawley is 38, which makes her the oldest Bachelorette the franchise has had in its 16 seasons. On “Good Morning America” on Monday, Crawley said her age is an advantage.”I feel like a lot of people put it out there as this negative thing,” she said. “For me, it’s just more years under my belt. More years learning and knowing what I want and what I won’t settle for.”The average age of the contestants has decreased over the last few seasons. The two front-runners for Peter Weber’s heart on this season of “The Bachelor” are both 23. The oldest contestant vying for the 28-year-old Weber was 31-year-old Natasha Parker, who is one year younger than Crawley was when she first appeared on “The Bachelor.”Reality Steve, who is as looped into the inside world of “The Bachelor” franchise as anyone, provided some details on how casting will be play out.”As of right now, of the guys that I have, 4 of them have kids,” he tweeted Sunday. “And they are definitely going to be doing some late casting of more older guys this week after Monday’s announcement. They’ve already told a couple of the 25-year-olds they’re no longer cast bc of the age difference.”Crawley said on GMA she isn’t looking for a specific age in the men she will date: “I have been known to date younger guys, so that’s not a problem for me. I’m wondering if they’re ready for me for my age. I feel like that would be more of an issue than me with them.”I feel so much younger at heart than my actual age. I’m proud of my age, but I just feel younger, and that, to me, is what’s important.”She’s had some iconic moments on the show already.Galavais is widely regarded as one of the worst Bachelors the show has had, so Crawley was celebrated when she told him off after being eliminated on the finale.Crawley might be most well known for a different encounter.From her time on “Bachelor In Paradise,” Crawley is famous for talking to a raccoon. She was filmed stepping away from the group and venting to no one in particular about the drama of the season. The shot cut back and forth between frames of Crawley and a raccoon that appeared to be interested in what she had to say.What does she care about?Crawley is a hairstylist in Sacramento, Calif., who cares about her family. She is the youngest of six girls and is looking for a man who has similar characteristics as her late father.”I am looking for a man that is just like my dad: strong, loving, gentle, compassionate and just a real genuine, kind man,” Crawley said in the intro package for her time on “The Bachelor.” She also shared that her dad made a DVD for her future husband to watch, which she said she has not seen: “When my dad passed away, I feel like it just shattered my world, because I was his baby girl.” What is she looking for?Crawley said on GMA she doesn’t have a specific type of guy she’s looking for on a physical level.”It’s all what’s on the inside for me,” she said. “If you line up the guys I’ve dated in the past, there’s no one thing that I’m looking for physically. It’s more if they go out of their way for me (or) if they make me feel special. This is about me now and I’m ready for it.”last_img read more

Governor pledges to resolve felon voting rights issue by Caucuses

first_imgDES MOINES — Governor Kim Reynolds says all pending applications from Iowans with felony records who’re seeking restoration of their voting rights will be reviewed before the Iowa Caucuses.“Right now we have 347 that are being processed,” Reynolds said this morning during a statehouse forum organized by The Associated Press. “Eighty of those just came in (during) the last 30 days. They will be completed before the February 3rd Caucuses.”Iowa is the only state that still bans all people with felony convictions from voting unless they appeal directly to the governor.“If individuals are interested in participating in the February Caucuses, they need to get that application in as soon as possible,” Reynolds said, “and we’ll do everything that we can to get them through the process and get them reviewed and give them an answer one way or the other.”The Iowa Department of Corrections has just begun giving qualified inmates a nearly-complete voting rights application when they’re released from prison. The governor says that will eliminate the background check Department of Public Safety staff have had to do.“There’s a few variables to that, but for the most part, we’ll be able to skip that,” Reynolds said, “and that will expedite the process quite a bit.” Reynolds is again this year asking legislators to craft a constitutional amendment that would automatically restore felon voting rights during the legislative session that starts next week. Reynolds made her comments Tuesday during a statehouse forum organized by the Associated Press.last_img read more

Fun-Filled Entertainment and Events at the Thurston County Fair

first_imgFacebook1Tweet0Pin0Submitted by The Thurston County FairLive and Local concert series, Savor South Sound tastings part of 2014 highlightsThis year’s Thurston County Fair is chock full of sights, sounds and tastes to entertain the whole herd from Wednesday, July 30 through Sunday, August 3. Photo credit: Whitewood Cider.Savor South Sound Beverage TastingsThe Savor South Sound beverage tasting event is back this year and better than ever, featuring dozens of delectable Northwest drinks. You’ll find Savor South Sound on the Gazebo Green this year with tastings from a dozen cideries, breweries and wineries on Friday and Saturday between 5 and 10 p.m. Patrons must be 21 or over to enter the event. Don’t forget to try some of the hors d’oeuvre pairings provided by local growers and producers that are new to Savor South Sound this year. Get more Savor South Sound details at www.ThurstonCountyFair.org by clicking on the “Entertainment” tab.Live & Local Concert SeriesIf you are looking for even more reasons to visit the fair this year, then consider the line-up of local entertainers that will be delighting crowds with their sizzling summer sounds during the “Live & Local” concert series that is free with your fair admission. The Live & Local line-up features South Sound favorites like Artesian Rumble Arkestra on Wednesday, Brittany Kingery on Thursday, The Blackberry Bushes on Friday, and an encore appearance by The Brown Edition on Saturday along with DBST, all playing on the Main Stage sponsored by Les Schwab. New to the Live & Local line-up this year are some musical pairings on the Food Court Stage with the neighboring Savor South Sound event. And be sure to catch this year’s KACS Sunday Concert featuring legendary Christian rocker Bryan Duncan. Get more Live & Local details and other entertainment information at www.ThurstonCountyFair.org by clicking on the “Entertainment” tab.Other new events in 2014 include up close and personal displays and presentations by Predators of the Heart in front of Heritage Hall. You can visit with all of the feathery, furry and scaly friends all five days at the Thurston County Fair. New on Saturday, August 2 is the Tattoo Art Contest where local tattoo artists will have their skill and artistry on display and cash prizes on the line. Also new in 2014 is the Rescue Pet Roundup on Sunday, August 3 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Hicks Lake Barn. Come meet all of our furry friends who are available for adoption. There are also several fan favorites making a comeback this year at the fair, including:One Buck Wednesday on July 30, when admission is just $1 per person when you bring a non-perishable food donation for the Thurston County Food Bank. Tons of other $1 deals are featured inside the fair.Kid’s Day Thursday, July 31. Kids 14 and under pay just $2 for admission, and carnival armbands that get you unlimited carnival rides for the day are buy-one-get-one free for your buddy. Don’t forget, admission for kids 5 and under is always FREE at the fair!Military Appreciation Day is Friday, Aug. 1. Active duty and retired military personnel and their families can get $2 admission to the fair with your military ID. Just present your military ID for lots of other military deals inside the fair.Author’s Corner is back in the Sharp Building will once again feature local authors selling books, greeting fans, and autographing everything from children’s books to crime dramas.The Antiques Appraisal event is back on Friday, Aug. 1 at 4 p.m. in Heritage Hall, when a professional appraiser will evaluate collectibles and antiques provided by local residents.The Thurston County Commissioners Annual Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, Aug. 2 from 8:30-10 a.m. Breakfast is free with fair admission. Join us on the Gazebo Green on the east side of Heritage Hall.The annual Animal Market Sale will be in the Hicks Lake Barn on Saturday, Aug. 2 at 6 p.m.The annual 4-H Equine Western Games begin early at 8 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 3.For more information about these events and other fair entertainment and attractions, go to www.ThurstonCountyFair.org and click on the “Daily Events Calendar” link.The last day to purchase discount carnival ride armbands is Tuesday, July 29. Visit www.ThurstonCountyFair.org and click on “Fair News” for more information about discount carnival armbands and other discounts and deals.To learn more about this year’s events, entertainment and exhibits, contact the Thurston County Fair Office at (360) 786-5453 or visit www.ThurstonCountyFair.org.“Fun for the Whole Herd at the Thurston County Fair!” July 30 – Aug. 3last_img read more