Massive task!

first_imgDebris from MH370 is expected to wash up along the Western Australian coast over the next few months as search crews race against the impending winter weather to locate the Boeing 777.The herculean task of locating MH370 will be the most complex international effort in aviation history and it may be years before the main body of wreckage is located.It took almost two years to find Air France Flight 447 and that was in calmer mid Atlantic waters, after debris was found just six days after the crash in 2009.According to the lead investigator of the AF447 crash Alain Bouillard, searches face a “colossal task” that is “far, far harder”.Mr Bouillard London’s Telegraph the location of MH370 is “one of the most hostile environments in the world”.However, searchers are expected to learn from the lessons of the AF447 recovery, observers said.In that recovery a team led by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution operating full ocean depth autonomous underwater vehicles used sidescan sonar, to locate the main debris field at a depth of 4000m. More than 104 bodies were recovered.Without doubt the biggest challenge in locating and recovering MH370 will be the sea condition with winter swells as high as 25m (75ft).The location of the MH370 is at the convergence of three currents – the South Indian Ocean Current, which becomes the West Australian Current, the Leeuwin current and the Antarctica Circumpolar Current.Those underlying currents work below the sea swells which move in a broad easterly and north-easterly direction depending upon the frontal activity.Oceanographer Dr Erik Van Sebille told Channel 7’s Sunrise the currents are extremely strong at up to 2cm a second and would get worse.“The current varies every day and has vortices and debris can move 100km a day [in all directions].”With the new satellite data from Inmarsat, along with increasing amounts of drift data searchers will try to zero in on MH370’s initial impact area.An Australian warship is expected to be tasked with deploying US locator equipment. Yesterday a 5m long 800kg Bluefin drone and a Towed Pinger Locater arrived in Perth aboard a special G550 jet from the US.MH370’s black boxes are key to solving the mystery of why the plane veered so far off course. In theory, the black boxes containing flight data and cockpit voice recordings will continue emitting tracking signals for about another two weeks, with an average audible range of 2 to 3km.“Picking up a signal from the beacon seems an outside chance,” a member of the team that hunted the black boxes from Air France flight AF447 said.In that accident the signals were not heard at all as one transmitter had failed and the other had fallen off on impact and was never found.The sea bed where MH370 is thought to be is up to 5km deep. But the cockpit voice recorder only tapes the last between 30 minutes and two hours – depending upon the model – of the pilot’s conversation and investigators will never hear what happened around the time the plane first changed course.MH370 Tributes Pagelast_img read more

Pakistan’s Ahmed Shehzad attacks Tillakaratne Dilshan over religion

first_imgPCB has ordered an investigation in the religious comments made by Shehzad against DilshanReligious comments by Pakistan batsman Ahmed Shehzad to Sri Lanka player Tillakaratne Dilshan after their one-day international last Saturday are being investigated by the Pakistan Cricket Board.While the players were walking back to the dressing room in Dambulla, Sri Lanka, Shehzad was caught on camera telling Dilshan “if you are a non-Muslim and you turn Muslim, no matter whatever you do in your life, straight to heaven.”Dilshan’s reply was not audible, and Shehzad went on to say, “Then be ready for the fire.”Shehzad was summoned to PCB headquarters in Lahore on Wednesday and asked about his comments, board general manager media Agha Akbar said.”Ahmed has informed the PCB that it was his personal chat with Dilshan, and there was nothing more to it,” Akbar said.”What we understand is that no Sri Lanka Cricket official or our own manager lodged any complaint.”However, Akbar said the PCB was still investigating the matter.Dilshan was born to a Muslim father and a Buddhist mother and was known as Tuwan Mohamed Dilshan.He shed his Muslim name shortly after his international debut in 1999 and took up the name Tillakaratne Mudiyanselage Dilshan with an ethnic Sinhalese-Buddhist identity.His childhood coach Ranjan Paranavitana said even though Dilshan carried a Muslim name, he and his brothers and sisters followed their mother’s religion from their childhood.Dilshan scored an unbeaten 50 on Saturday and powered the home team to a seven-wicket victory in the ODI series decider.advertisementlast_img read more

Multi Sectoral Effort Needed to Host Diamond League Meet

first_imgMinister with responsibility for Sports, Hon. Natalie Neita-Headley, says the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association, with the full support of the Government, has begun to explore with the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) the possibility of Jamaica hosting a Diamond League meet. The Minster was speaking at the eighth regional Investment and Capital Markets Conference, held on January 24 at the Pegasus Hotel, in New Kingston. “It is clear from these discussions that by hosting a meeting in Jamaica, the Diamond League will be able to build the worldwide appeal of athletics. It is also clear that a Jamaica meeting will be able to provide world class entertainment by providing outstanding television images,” Mrs. Neita-Headley said. Mrs. Neita-Headley argued that having the Diamond League in Jamaica would give a fair chance to top athletes of all disciplines to gain international media exposure, earn their living and have their success in major championships honoured. She noted that internationally, most track and field athletes want to compete in Jamaica.“They see this nation as the Mecca of track and field, where their efforts will be fully understood and appreciated. They want to experience firsthand, the adulation of the same fans that have cheered on the Jamaican champions and applauded our regional friends when they compete at the national stadium,” she added.The Sports Minister outlined how the government would be involved in facilitating the hosting of a Diamond League Meet in the country, citing the availability of hotels and a stadium facility.She also pointed out that promotion of the event would have to be done through the Jamaica Tourist Board, the Caribbean Tourism Organization, the Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation, SportsMax and other regional and international media.“The Government of Jamaica would be responsible for leading the discussion with our regional brothers and sisters to secure buy-in to the event; not as a Jamaica’s Diamond League meet, but as the Regional Diamond League meet, with the outcome being measurable regionally,” Mrs. Neita Headley said.The Minister added that to host a successful Diamond League would require that bureaucratic obstacles are kept to the absolute minimum in making the participation of athletes from all global destinations as pain-free as possible. She said this would include arrangements at immigration and customs to expedite arrivals and departures at the airports as well as ground travel arrangements for the duration of the meet.Discussions will also be held with the security forces so as to assist with the security arrangements for the visiting athletes, and the Ministry of Tourism and the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association would be involved to ensure that proper housing is available for all visiting athletes and their teams, as well as the media and persons who travel to Jamaica to watch the meet.“We have before us a real opportunity to leverage our success as a track and field super power. How we seek to capitalize on the dominance we currently enjoy will eventually reflect in our country’s balance sheet,” the Minister said.The Samsung Diamond League is an annual series of track and field meetings held from 2010 onwards. It was designed to replace the IAAF Golden League, which was held annually since 1998.last_img read more

Gov’t to Accept Bids for 115 MW Projects in June

first_imgBeginning in June, the Government will commence accepting bid submissions from investors to develop projects aimed at generating up to 115 megawatts of energy from renewable sources, which could potentially reduce Jamaica’s oil imports expenditure by US$55 million.Science, Technology, Energy and Mining Minister, Hon. Phillip Paulwell, who made the disclosure during his 2013/14 Budget Debate presentation in Parliament on Wednesday, April 24, said installation of the 115 megawatts of energy will yield 12.5 per cent of Jamaica’s electricity capacity generated from renewables, thus bringing the country to almost 50 per cent of its goal of 30 per cent of generated from alternative sources, by 2030.“The 115 megawatts of renewable energy will also provide some 400,000 megawatt hours of electricity per year, and will save Jamaica the equivalent of over 700,000 barrels of imported oil per year amounting to US$55 million annually,” Mr. Paulwell added.Mr. Paulwell, who spoke under the theme: “Fuelling Our Own Growth”, said the administration is “aggressively” pursuing this goal, which, he informed, got underway in 2012, with several policy shifts to encourage and facilitate investment in renewable energy projects, particularly by the private sector.These, he said, included removing the proviso that previously gave the state-run Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ) exclusive right to develop all renewable energy projects, and introducing net billing to facilitate the sale of excess electricity derived from renewable sources by self-generators, to the Jamaica Public Service (JPS) Company. The Minister said subsequent to removing the PCJ’s proviso, the Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for procurement of up to the 115 megawatts of renewable energy.Mr. Paulwell contended that opening of the bids will present “an opportunity for local investors to get involved, and provide some or all of that energy generation capacity.”Regarding net billing, the Energy Minister informed that, to date, the Ministry has granted over 50 licenses. He noted several challenges arising, including the standard of photo voltaic (PV) system designs submitted not being consistent with stipulations in the Electric Lighting Act, which are being addressed.“We have, since, mandated the Government Electrical Inspectorate (GEI) to work with the applicants in bringing their installations up to par. Within the last 12 months, a total of 15 PV systems and one wind system have been certified by the GEI, while another 14 will be inspected this week,” he disclosed.Meanwhile, Mr. Paulwell announced that he will be meeting with the administration of the HEART Trust/NTA to discuss the prospects of facilitating a training programme for electrical inspectors.This, he explained, is against the background of an “urgent” demand for trained inspectors, consequent on increased residential solar installations, in order that “we can effectively handle the number of applications for renewable systems.”By Douglas McIntosh, JIS Reporterlast_img read more

Ballet School Increases Dance Opportunities for DC Youth

first_imgThe Washington Ballet intends to increase the number of free dance classes it offers to D.C. public schools east of the Anacostia River.The announcement of the expanded offerings came at a April 29 fundraiser for the ballet.  The classes are part of DanceDC, an education and outreach program that provides a seven week in-school residency to second and third grade D.C. students.The program currently serves eight to nine schools every year, totaling more than 700 students. The ballet expects to increase the number of schools to 13 to 14 through the expanded initiative.Incoming artistic director Julie Kent placed heavy emphasis on the academic and emotional successes of students who participate in the program.“Dance is vital and really bridges the gaps between all areas of D.C., allowing people to see all the real colors and layers D.C. has to offer,”  Kent told the AFRO. “We think it is important that we expand our program and are currently making plans to add an additional five schools to DanceDC.”last_img read more

Glitz and Glamour

first_imgKeeping up with the fad of ever changing fashion is not something many can do, and hosting a fashion weekend just adds onto the task. The Ambience Group has crafted some of the most exciting, enduring and profitable shopping and leisure destinations in the NCR. Lifestyle, leisure, shopping and entertainment make them the perfect destination for any urban Indian, housing International brands like Marks & Spencer, H&M, The collective, Thomas Pink, Gap and many more. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfBeing a pioneer in an ever-evolving retail industry, Arjun Singh Gehlot and Shahista Gehlot have outdone themselves by introducing and launching yet another property titled ‘The Ambience Fashion Weekend- 2016’- conceptualized and hosted by them. A two-day extravaganza took fashion and retail to the next level. The first day, November 4 witnessed, as promised a  glamorous opening with the crème da la crème of fashion and retail in attendance at the fashion weekend.  Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive‘The Ambience Fashion Weekend’, began with a bang! The Fashion show opened with brands like Marks & Spencer, Scullers, United Colors of Benetton, Creyate, Fab India, Gems, Satya Paul, Trends and was choreographed and presented by fashion guru – Prasad Bidapa. Latest trends of high-fashion were displayed by international retail giants and popular Indian brands.Adding glitz and glamour to this night dedicated to Fashion- Barfi and Mein tera Hero famed Bollywood actor Ileana D’Cruz walked the ramp as the showstopper and looked stunning in a Marks & Spencer outfit. The exclusive fashion presentation saw the who’s who of the fashion circuit of Delhi, fashion and lifestyle bloggers, celebrities, designers and imminent personalities from the retail industry.last_img read more