Energy Dept working on deficiencies in local technical training

first_img…based on needs assessment done on TVET institutionsA prevailing concern is that lack of capacity will see locals losing out on technical jobs arising from the oil and gas sector. But armed with a needs assessment report, the Energy Department is looking to fix that.Energy Department Head,Dr Mark BynoeThis was explained at a press conference held on Friday by the Department at the Ministry of the Presidency. According to Head of the Department, Dr Mark Bynoe, they are working in collaboration with the Council for Technical and Vocational Education Training (CTVET) and its Director, Floyd Scott.“We’ve been working very closely with the Council and those entities that have been coming trying to set up parallel structures; we’ve been encouraging them to set up partnerships with the TVET institutions,” he explained.Dr Bynoe related that they are considering initiating two pilot programmes within the TVET institutions. He also referenced the Board of Industrial Training (BIT) and the University of Guyana, which are also building capacity for the sector.“The University of Guyana has recently launched their own petroleum programme. We are also working with the Board of Industrial Training. And one must recall the Public Service Ministry still provides opportunities for Guyana to build its capacity as we move towards the oil and gas sector,” Dr Bynoe stated.In 2016, the Government had signed an agreement that would see the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) contributing US$14 million towards TVET institutions. Another agreement to develop TVET worth US$83,000 was signed between Guyana and the Organisation of American States (OAS) last year.This year, the University of Guyana also launched its Masters and Associate of Science in Petroleum Engineering programmes.TVETIn March of this year, CTVET Director Scott had revealed at a forum in Albouystown that Guyana was missing hundreds of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) skills from its technical and vocational curriculums.CTVET Director Floyd Scott“There is currently in the region of Occupational Health and Safety standards, 250 skills. In Guyana, within our TVET institutions, we only have 17 occupational skills being taught. So, if there is a need for a skill outside of that 17, the foreigners will come,” he had said.Scott also revealed that during a recent meeting of the College of Science, Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (COSTAATT), he learnt that they were now issuing skilled certificates to categories of workers.“The agriculture workers, security workers and domestic household… What was interesting is what the skilled certificates mean, it’s a work permit to travel throughout the Caricom Region. Guyanese cannot get it…because that certification is not afforded in Guyana,” Scott noted.“With oil and gas, you will see tourism. You will see a lot of hotels. You will see the need for people to be day-care workers. And the foreigners aren’t going to come and ask you to work for them, because you look good. They want to know you are capable of doing the job.”Local content and what it will do for Guyana has been a burning question since the announcement of the oil discovery in the Stabroek Block. After Exxon first tempered expectations by saying that few job opportunities will be created by oil, it has since said that it would help with local content delivery.One measure it has taken is to set up a Centre for Local Business Development (CLBD). A major complaint has been that Guyanese are losing out to foreigners when it comes to local content, especially as the Local Content Policy is still to take effect.last_img read more

MINISTER’S DELIGHT AT JOBS BOOST AS KILLYBEGS TO GET WORLD’S LARGEST MARINE FOOD PLANT

first_imgDeputy Joe McHugh: Welcoming the Killybegs jobs boostMinister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Simon Coveney has warmly welcomed plans by the Killybegs Fishermen’s’ Organisation (KFO) and a Norwegian partner, to build the largest marine food ingredients plant in the world in Killybegs.Donegal Daily revealed the plans last night.The plant, due to become fully operational by the 1st of January 2017, will produce valuable high- end marine protein for human consumption. It’s expected to create up to 120 new jobs.The Minister said: “This facility will become a ‘game-changer’ in the seafood sector. It will position Killybegs and Ireland as a global leader in supply and research around new products and benefits from protein, oils and calcium associated with the sea.“This new processing facility arises from the new boarfish fishery which was developed by Irish fishermen over the past few years.“In 2012, the EU introduced quota shares for the stock and Ireland secured 70% share of the fishery and has a quota of 88,000 tonnes in 2014. I am delighted that the new food ingredients project will maximise the value of a significant part of this fishery and centre the associated economic activity and jobs in the heartland of Ireland’s fishing community.” Minister Coveney said “These plans are at an early stage and discussions are underway to finalise the full funding of the project. I look forward to the successful conclusion of these negotiations and to a formal announcement of this project in Donegal. KFO Chief Executive, Sean O’Donoghue, has invited me to Donegal to announce specific details of the project on 9th May which I’m very pleased to accept subject to successful conclusion of the on -going discussions.”The Minister is attending the BIM National Seafood Conference today in Dublin. The focus of this conference, attended by seafood business leaders, global industry thinkers and world renowned fisheries experts is ‘Capturing Ireland’s share of the global seafood opportunity.Minister Coveney said: “We all need to challenge our thinking and inform ourselves of best international practice so that Ireland will be able to position itself to maximise its share of the global seafood opportunity. Ireland may currently be a small player in the context of world seafood, however, given the huge resources around our coast it is clear that we should have major ambitions for sustainable growth of our seafood sector. This Conference will contribute to making these ambitions a reality and the Killybegs food ingredients projects shows what can be done.”Donegal TD Joe McHugh says the Killybegs development is a result of the hard work of the government in Europe to secure greater quotas.“It’s a superb boost for Killybegs,” he said, “coming as it does just a few days after the new Coast Guard station was officially opened by Minister Varadkar.” Pat The Cope Gallagher also welcomed the jobs.Pat the Cope was centrally involved in introducing legislation in the European Parliament in 2011, which facilitated the exploitation of the boar fishery by ensuring the use of the most appropriate fishing gear type.This helped Ireland to secure 70% of the Total Allowable Catch for the entire fishery. It would not be possible to establish such a facility, if not for the exceptionally high quota which Ireland secured. This is in no small measure due to the years of exploratory fishing by a number of vessels in the Irish Pelagic fleet, according to Pat the Cope.Pat the Cope has paid tribute to the KFO for attracting an international partner specialising in bio marine ingredients. “This is a welcome jobs boost for Killybegs and the County of Donegal which will result in the creation of up to 50 jobs during the construction phase and a further 70 direct and indirect jobs when it goes into full production,” stated Pat the Cope.MINISTER’S DELIGHT AT JOBS BOOST AS KILLYBEGS TO GET WORLD’S LARGEST MARINE FOOD PLANT was last modified: April 2nd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:jobs boostKFOKillybegsprocessing plantsealast_img read more

ICC Champions Trophy: South Africa were mentally weak against ‘remarkable’ India, says Sourav Ganguly

first_imgFormer captain Sourav Ganguly praised Team India’s “remarkable” victory against South Africa to qualify for the ICC Champions Trophy semi-finals on Sunday. India defeated South Africa by eight wickets in a must-win game to reach the last-four of the elite tournament for the fifth time.”South Africa were mentally weak here and against Pakistan as well. It was a remarkable performance by India,” Ganguly told India Today.India will play Bangladesh in the second semi-final on June 15 in Birmingham. Ganguly said the victory will boost India’s confidence.”India were too professional. Bangladesh will find it very hard to control this team,” he said.Ganguly also believes that Bangladesh will put a better fight against India.”In terms of quality, South Africa were a better team in these conditions but their performance were very poor.”On paper, Bangladesh are a weaker team than South Africa but will probably pull up a better fight because they have a good batting lineup, they play spin well and their bowlers have done well. But I am not too sure if they are strong enough to beat this rampaging Indian team,” Ganguly said.Put into bat first, Indian bowlers bowled tight lines and bundled out South Africa for a paltry 191 in 44.3 overs. In reply, India rode on 128-run stand between Shikhar Dhawan (78) and Virat Kohli (76 not out) for the second wicket to cross the finish line with 12 overs to spare.Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar picked up two wickets each while Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja and Hardik Pandya got one apiece.advertisementGanguly praised the Jadeja-Ashwin pair, who once again combined to restrict the run-scoring.”With Ashwin at the other end, Jadeja also bowls well. It was a dry pitch. When you see one spinner bowl well, the other spinner also bowls well,” he said.last_img read more