Reporters Without Borders is appalled to learn that Jamal Al-Sharaabi, a photographer working for the local daily Al-Masdar, was one of the fatal victims when government security forces opened fire today on a peaceful demonstration in Change Square, outside Sanaa university, killing at least 30 people.“We are dismayed by Sharabi’s death during the brutal repression of anti-government demonstrations in Yemen today,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Our thoughts go out to his family and the staff of Al-Masdar. It is shocking that this photographer paid with his life for trying to keep his fellow-citizens informed.”Aged 35 and the father of four children, Sharaabi is the fourth journalist to be killed in the course of the wave of protests that have been rocking the Arab world since last December. Saudi media silent on RSF complaint against MBS RSF_en Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa News to go further Tension between Bahrain’s Shiite and Sunni communities is mounting and there have been calls on the Internet for the closure of the bureau of the Iranian Shiite TV station Alalam and the arrest of its correspondent, Ali Al-Mousawi.GAZAMembers of the Hamas security forces attacked journalists on 15 March in the course of dispersing several hundred people who had gathered in Katiba Square in Gaza City in response to a call on Facebook by the 15 March Coalition, which is campaigning for an end to the political divisions in the Palestinian Territories.After blocking all streets leading into the square at around 6 p.m., the security forces moved in and ordered the demonstrators to leave. When some resisted, the police destroyed their tents, beginning with the tent put up by the Union of Journalists, and attacked around 20 reporters and photographers, seizing many cameras and memory cards.Asma Al-Ghoul, the correspondent of the SKeyes Centre for Media and Cultural Freedom, was badly beaten and was held for five hours. Her colleague, Samah Ahmed was stabbed in the back and had to be taken to Gaza City’s Shifa Hospital for treatment. Akram Atallah, who writes for the West Bank daily Al-Ayyam, was so badly beaten that his left arm was broken.Yesterday, Hamas security forces prevented four journalists – Xinhua photographer Khader Abu Kuik, Al-Jazeera cameraman Ismail Al-Zanoun, AFP photographer Mohamed Al-Baba and freelancer Sam Yassin – from covering a demonstration outside a United Nations office in Gaza. Their cameras were seized and the memory cards were removed.SAUDI ARABIAThe Saudi authorities withdrew the accreditation of Reuters correspondent Ulf Laessing on 15 March, accusing him of filing an inaccurate report about a recent demonstration. Reuters issued a statement saying Laessing, who has been based in Riyadh since 2009, would leave the country within the week. A woman journalist working for the BBC and a Spanish photographer were arrested and held for about three hours on 4 March for planning to cover a demonstration in the eastern city of Hofuf. The BBC reporter told Reporters Without Borders she had entered the country the previous day on a press visa and had been personally assured by the information minister that she would be free to work throughout the country.For no clear reason, the Saudi daily Al-Watan, one of the kingdom’s most important newspapers, has stopped publishing anything by Amal Zahid and Amira Kashgari, two women journalists whose articles were widely read. Receive email alerts Organisation RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Saudi Arabia News March 19, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 More harassment of journalists covering pro-democracy demonstrations, one killed in Yemen News Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Reporters Without Borders records that the authorities continue to respond with violence to protests movement in Bahrain, Yemen and, now, the Palestinian Territories. In Saudi Arabia, the authorities are targeting foreign journalists in an attempt to prevent the circulation of images of the streets protests in the east of the country. Reporters Without Borders condemns these attempts to censor and intimidate.YEMENOn 17 March, pro-government thugs snatched an Al-Jazeera crew’s camera as the station’s correspondent, Hamdi Al-Bakari, was covering violence against demonstrators in the province of Taiz. Journalist, writer and activist Bushra Al-Maqtari was injured when security agents tried to disperse a sit-in in Freedom Square in the city of Taiz. Mareb Press reporter Mohammed Al-Hozayfi was also injured when anti-riot police threw stones and used teargas to disperse the protesters.Adel Abdel Mughni, a reporter for the UAE weekly Al-Shorouq, was attacked by government supporters on a Sanaa street on 16 March after covering the sit-in in the capital’s Change Square.Bassem Al-Janabi of the Al-Masdar Online news website was covering a sit-in to demand President Saleh’s departure in Hodeidah province when government security agents and ruling party thugs armed attacked the demonstrators using knives and teargas. Janabi lost consciousness.The authorities continue to obstruct the distribution of certain newspapers. Copies of the Thursday and Friday issues of Akhbar Al-Yom were seized at Sanaa airport to prevent their being sent to Aden, Al-Daleh, Lahej and Abyan. On 15 March, the authorities prevented distribution of the latest issue of the Aden-based newspaper Al-Oumana in the capital. The issue contained coverage of student demonstrations. News April 28, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more BAHRAINWith military contingents now being sent from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to help contain the political agitation, men armed with clubs and knives stormed the printing press of Al-Wasat, Bahrain’s only independent daily, on 15 March and smashed equipment, thereby preventing the newspaper from publishing. Editor Mansour al-Jamri said employees had been threatened because of Al-Wasat’s coverage of the political unrest. Printing press manager Ahmed Mahdi said police had been escorting his employees to and from their work during the three days prior to the attack because of threats from people gathered outside. The newspaper Al-Ayam agreed to print Al-Wasat’s latest issue.Mohammed Jamjoom, a CNN correspondent based in Abu Dhabi, was deported on 16 March for unclear reasons. An information ministry official escorted him to the airport but the authorities provided no explanation for his expulsion. Wall Street Journal reporter Alex Delmar-Morgan was arrested by members of the National Guard as he walked towards Pearl Square on 16 March and was held for three hours. Al-Wasat photographer Mohammed al-Mukharaq was attacked by a score of plain-clothes security agents while taking photos of protesters on 13 March. His sustained a fracture to his left hand and his camera and mobile phone were broken.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtRj0SaHkLU&feature=youtu.be March 9, 2021 Find out more
After winning eight state championships at Stevens Point Area Senior High School, it was naturally assumed that UW track and cross country star Chris Solinsky would stay close to home to pursue his college career. However, Solinsky wasn’t thinking that way.”I wanted to get as far away from home as possible,” Solinsky said. “I had five schools in mind, Wisconsin being one of them. But I really wanted to get out of this state and see what was out there for me.”After narrowing down his choices to Michigan, Stanford, Oregon, Notre Dame and Wisconsin, Solinsky decided he would take the hour-and-a-half drive south from Stevens Point to check things out.The rest was history, which also happens to be his major.”Things just clicked on my visit here,” Solinsky said. “I kind of knew after my visit here, but I still wanted to keep my options open when I went to the other schools. Meeting the coaches and guys on the team, … it felt a lot like high school.”I felt like I could be comfortable here, so that’s why I came.”Solinsky fit in right away.Two months into his freshman year, he was the top freshman finisher at the NCAA Cross Country Championships, and the second-best UW runner with a 15th place finish. His time was good enough to earn him an All-American honor. But he didn’t stop there. The following spring, Solinsky earned two more All-American honors at the NCAA Indoor meet, finishing 6th in the 3,000 meters and 8th as a member of the distance medley relay team.In one year, he garnered three All-American honors. “It’s pretty unbelievable when you think about it,” Solinsky said.Over the next two and a half years, the senior went on to earn 10 more All-American honors between cross country and track, two of which came just three weeks ago when he took second in the 3,000 meters and won his first 5,000 meters at the NCAA Indoor Championships. In sum, he has three Big Ten titles, four individual NCAA titles and two national championships, one in track and one in cross country.However, Solinsky said he never pays too much attention to all his awards — not even his recent Track Athlete of the Year honor. He just tries to be the best runner he can.”You never think about this kind of stuff when you come in,” Solinsky said. “Each one of those national championships have such a unique feeling. These last three, I went out there to try to establish myself as a great runner. I want everyone I race against to know that if they want to beat me then they have to be a great runner.”Although Solinsky has established himself as a great runner, there is still one race he wished he could have back.After finishing third overall at the 2005 NCAA cross country race, Solinsky was looked to as the obvious favorite the following season in his last collegiate cross country race. But come race day, Solinsky was subpar, finishing fifth on the team and 73rd overall with a time of 32:15, almost three full minutes slower than the year before.”I think that made him hungry,” said UW track and field head coach Ed Nuttycombe. “He was embarrassed, and it made him hungry to get back out there for the track season. Chris is an awful good cross country runner, but he’s just simply better at track.”Solinsky couldn’t agree more with his coach.”I would probably agree with that,” Solinsky said of his revival during track season. “In high school, I was better at cross country. But being a bigger guy out there, it’s easier for me to excel on the track than out on the cross country course.”With only one season left and the NCAA outdoor meet a mere two months away, Solinsky is preparing for whatever comes next in his running career.”I’m going to keep pursuing it as long as I can,” Solinsky said. “I keep telling people that as long as I’m able to run, I’m going to run. This summer is the world championships in Japan, so we’ll see what happens. I know I have it in me — we’ll just have to see what happens.”
…based on needs assessment done on TVET institutionsA prevailing concern is that lack of capacity will see locals losing out on technical jobs arising from the oil and gas sector. But armed with a needs assessment report, the Energy Department is looking to fix that.Energy Department Head,Dr Mark BynoeThis was explained at a press conference held on Friday by the Department at the Ministry of the Presidency. According to Head of the Department, Dr Mark Bynoe, they are working in collaboration with the Council for Technical and Vocational Education Training (CTVET) and its Director, Floyd Scott.“We’ve been working very closely with the Council and those entities that have been coming trying to set up parallel structures; we’ve been encouraging them to set up partnerships with the TVET institutions,” he explained.Dr Bynoe related that they are considering initiating two pilot programmes within the TVET institutions. He also referenced the Board of Industrial Training (BIT) and the University of Guyana, which are also building capacity for the sector.“The University of Guyana has recently launched their own petroleum programme. We are also working with the Board of Industrial Training. And one must recall the Public Service Ministry still provides opportunities for Guyana to build its capacity as we move towards the oil and gas sector,” Dr Bynoe stated.In 2016, the Government had signed an agreement that would see the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) contributing US$14 million towards TVET institutions. Another agreement to develop TVET worth US$83,000 was signed between Guyana and the Organisation of American States (OAS) last year.This year, the University of Guyana also launched its Masters and Associate of Science in Petroleum Engineering programmes.TVETIn March of this year, CTVET Director Scott had revealed at a forum in Albouystown that Guyana was missing hundreds of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) skills from its technical and vocational curriculums.CTVET Director Floyd Scott“There is currently in the region of Occupational Health and Safety standards, 250 skills. In Guyana, within our TVET institutions, we only have 17 occupational skills being taught. So, if there is a need for a skill outside of that 17, the foreigners will come,” he had said.Scott also revealed that during a recent meeting of the College of Science, Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (COSTAATT), he learnt that they were now issuing skilled certificates to categories of workers.“The agriculture workers, security workers and domestic household… What was interesting is what the skilled certificates mean, it’s a work permit to travel throughout the Caricom Region. Guyanese cannot get it…because that certification is not afforded in Guyana,” Scott noted.“With oil and gas, you will see tourism. You will see a lot of hotels. You will see the need for people to be day-care workers. And the foreigners aren’t going to come and ask you to work for them, because you look good. They want to know you are capable of doing the job.”Local content and what it will do for Guyana has been a burning question since the announcement of the oil discovery in the Stabroek Block. After Exxon first tempered expectations by saying that few job opportunities will be created by oil, it has since said that it would help with local content delivery.One measure it has taken is to set up a Centre for Local Business Development (CLBD). A major complaint has been that Guyanese are losing out to foreigners when it comes to local content, especially as the Local Content Policy is still to take effect.