Time for firm measures to protect reporters against police violence in France

first_img News FranceEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImpunityCitizen-journalistsViolence After French President Emmanuel Macron asked his government for “clear proposals for improving police conduct”, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on Interior Minister Christophe Castaner to finally take firm measures to protect journalists against police violence. June 2, 2021 Find out more News May 10, 2021 Find out more June 9, 2020 Time for firm measures to protect reporters against police violence in France June 4, 2021 Find out more Organisation ISA HARSIN / AFP / POOL Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information center_img The past few years have been marked by cases of serious police violence against journalists, which RSF has repeatedly raised with the government and taken to court. After several announcements by the President of the Republic and the Interior Minister that have not been followed by action, strong government measures are long overdue.The President’s request to his Prime Minister on 7 June to “accelerate” proposals for “improving police conduct” is welcome and nees to lead to a complete overhaul of police methods and tactics. Reminding the government of the 10 proposals it submitted to the Interior Minister in June 2019, RSF calls for an overhaul of police training and techniques for policing protests and for the creation of mechanisms for improving relations between police and reporters on the ground.“After spending four years tallying and denouncing cases of police violence against journalists, appealing to the authorities, taking cases to court and drafting proposals, we call on the government to finally adopt concrete and bold measures to end these violations of press freedom and the right to information in France,” RSF Secretary General Christophe Deloire said.Police violence against journalists increased not only during last year’s “Yellow Vest” protests but also from 2016 to 2018 during the nighttime “Nuit Debout” demonstrations and the protests against Labour Law reform. While on duty covering the protests and the demands expressed, journalists were repeatedly insulted and beaten by police which fired flashball rounds or stingball grenades at them.In 2017, RSF asked the French Ombudsman to investigate ten cases of journalists who had been subjected to unwarranted violence by the security forces while covering the “Nuit Debout” demonstrations and protests against the Labour Law reform in 2016 and 2017. RSF then raised these issues with the French President who promised RSF’s Secretary General in a meeting in May 2019 that “action will be taken” to address police violence against reporters at protests.At a meeting the following month, RSF submitted its ten proposals to the Interior Minister, who promised to study them, and an RSF delegation participated in a discussion at the Interior Ministry in November 2019 on a new approach to policing protests which is still awaited.Finally, in December 2019, RSF filed a joint complaint at the public prosecutor’s office in Paris with 13 journalists who were the victims of police violence while covering “Yellow Vest” protests between November 2018 and May 2019.RSF’s Deloire added: “We deplore the fact that the 2019 report by the National Police Inspectorate General, published on 8 June 2020, referred to an increase in ‘deliberate violence’ by the police but did not mention the violence against reporters in the field. This omission suggests that the authorities are trying to deny the facts or the importance of the abuses that have taken place.”France is ranked 34th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. News RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story Follow the news on France “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says FranceEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImpunityCitizen-journalistsViolence Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU RSF_en News to go furtherlast_img read more

Tigers tamed as Catz run in five

first_imgCatz 31 – 7 LMH/TrinityUPON promotion to the top flight, the last thing any side would want is to face a team that ran in over a hundred points in their last two fixtures. Unfortunately for LMH/Trinity, an in-form Catz were their opponents in the first game of the new league season.Dark clouds and driving rain greeted the Division One new boys, who arrived without any substitutes and therefore no margin for error in terms of injuries. Catz, too, had players out, but even their shallow strength in depth was more than enough to comfortably see off their newly-promoted visitors.With the home side coming into the game on the back of a second place league finish – the college’s best in years – they were looking to build towards going one better in the new season.Catz began by tearing into LMH from the kick off, immediately camping deep in their opponents’ twenty-two. The only reason for the home side being denied an early score was a slight lack of composure in front of the line.All that changed on ten minutes after some hard-hitting play in the midfield saw the ball find Catz outside centre Femi Fadugba. Embarking on one of his trademark jinking runs, Fadugba left the LMH defence trailing in his wake before touching down underneath the posts. Captain Sam Donaldson converted to give his side an early 7-0 lead.Catz barely let their opponents catch breath, running the ball straight back into the Tigers’ half and causing all sorts of problems for their defence. Good work from the home pack allowed the backs to put through Peter Jones for the first of his two tries. At this stage LMH were on the ropes, being repeatedly jabbed by their hosts. Time after time Catz would break the defence, with Donaldson adding to his points total with a try and another conversion.By now, even the St. Catherine’s forwards were after a piece of the action. Prop Tom Ward took a great inside ball before good work from hooker Charlie Thompson led to Matt Perrins touching down for the fourth try, plus conversion, of a punishing first half for LMH.The Tigers looked more fired up after the break and took advantage of a sleepy Catz to score a converted try of their own, but were immediately brought back down to earth with a second try from Jones.Injuries on both sides then brought down the quality of the game, with uncontested scrums being introduced thanks to a front row casualty. Catz came close to scoring a sixth, but Jamie Menzies was brought down just before the line.Their dominance of both the lineout and the tackle area meant that the Manor Road outfit would always create more chances, and wing Leo Masson forced good covering tackles from the Tigers’ defence. With LMH’s numbers dropping as low as twelve thanks to injuries, the referee brought matters to a close ten minutes ahead of schedule.On this evidence, the new members of elite rugby have a lot to do to retain their top flight status. Upcoming fixtures against Magdalen and champions Keble leave LMH with little chance of picking up any points before Christmas. Catz, though, will fancy their chances of improving on last season’s second after a strong start in poor conditions.last_img read more

Man charged in Woodlawn Avenue murder

first_imgJERSEY CITY — Dominique Green, age 23, of Jersey City, was charged with the May 9 murder of Rasheed Raysor.Hudson County Prosecutor Esther Suarez  said that on May 12 at approximately 1:40 p.m., detectives of the Prosecutor’s Office arrested Green in connection with Tuesday’s shooting death of Rasheed Raysor on Woodlawn Avenue in Jersey City. × Green was arrested on Bramhall Avenue and Ocean Avenue in Jersey City. Green has been charged with murder, Possession of a Firearm for an Unlawful Purpose, and Unlawful Possession of a FirearmOn May 9, Jersey City Police Officers responded to Woodlawn Avenue on multiple 911 calls of shots being fired in the area. Upon arrival, the responding police officers found a lifeless body at 95 Woodlawn Ave. in Jersey City. The deceased man was identified as Raysor, age 19, of Jersey City, who suffered gunshot wounds to the upper body during the incident. Raysor was pronounced dead at the scene at approximately 3:50 p.m. The Medical Examiner determined the cause of death as gunshot wounds and the manner of death was ruled a homicide.The Prosecutor’s Homicide Unit continues to actively investigate the case with assistance from the Jersey City Police Department. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Office of the Hudson County Prosecutor at 201-915-1345 or to leave an anonymous tip on the Hudson County Prosecutor’s official website at: http://www.hudsoncountyprosecutorsofficenj.org/homicide-tip/ . All information will be kept confidential.last_img read more

Ake agrees personal terms with Man City

first_img Ake could be one of four new faces to arrive at the Etihad summer in the coming weeks as Guardiola plots how to overhaul champions Liverpool. Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly remains another target in the central defensive area. Chelsea boss Frank Lampard Read Also: Fulham players party inside Wembley after securing promotion Guardiola is seeking a reliable defensive partner for first-choice Aymeric Laporte. City are back in Champions League action on Friday for their last-16 second-leg against Real Madrid. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeBest Car Manufacturers In The World7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?10 Celebrity Dads Who Don’t Get Along With Their KidsTop 8 Most Fun Sylvester Stallone Movies9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A Vegan8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growthcenter_img Nathan Ake has reportedly agreed personal terms with Manchester City ahead of a £41million switch from Bournemouth. Pep Guardiola is closing in on his man after targeting the Dutch centre-back as a top target to add to his defensive resources. And the path has cleared for the City boss after Chelsea decided not to exercise their option to match the offer for their former player, according to talkSPORT. Ake would be City’s second signing of the summer already after a £37m deal for Valencia winger Ferran Torres was confirmed on Tuesday. Torres is regarded as one of the most exciting wingers in Europe and was a highlight in Valencia’s otherwise disappointing LaLiga campaign. Pep Guardiola has targeted the Dutch centre-back as he attempts to overhaul his defence Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Atletico Madrid and Juventus had all retained interest in signing Torres, who had signalled his intention to leave the Mestalla.Advertisementlast_img read more

IMCA features pay $2,000 to win at Abilene’s 25th Ryan Bard Memorial Southern Challenge

first_imgMore information is available from promoter Rob Poor at 325 725-3849 or 325 692-8800, on Facebook and at the www.abilenespeedway.com website. An open practice runs from 6-10 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17. ABILENE, Texas – Two thousand dollars is the top prize in IMCA Modified, IMCA Sunoco Stock Car and Smiley’s Racing Products Southern SportMod features at Abilene Speedway’s Ryan Bard Memorial Southern Challenge.  Adult grandstand admission is $12 on Friday and $15 on Saturday. Kids ages 6-12 get in for $5 and five and under are free both nights. Military with ID are $10.  The Southern Challenge will be broadcast by IMCA.TV.center_img Both the Stock Car and SportMod features pay a minimum of $200 to start. Pit gates and the grandstand open at 3 p.m. and rac­ing starts at 7 p.m. both days. The 25th annual event is Friday and Saturday, Oct. 18 and 19. The Modified feature is a qualifier for the 2020 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot and pays a minimum of $300 to start. last_img read more