News News El-Balshy is accused of insulting the interior minister and police, inciting protests and calling for the government’s overthrow in Facebook and Twitter posts. He told local media outlets he had been surprised to hear the official announcement about the warrant as he had not received any summons for questioning.“We call for these charges to be withdrawn,” said Alexandra El Khazen, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “The situation is serious when the authorities not only harass journalists but also target those who defend them. The authorities must, as a matter of urgency, allow journalists to work normally without fear of reprisals.”Local human rights groups and media personnel condemned yesterday this complaint targeting a journalist who defends his colleagues. The Journalists Syndicate gave the interior ministry a 48-hour deadline (expiring tomorrow) to withdraw or rescind the arrest warrant.El-Balshy said on Facebook that the complaint against him concerned all journalists, both those who are imprisoned and those who are threatened with imprisonment, and the cause of media freedom in general. In February, the Journalists Syndicate held a sit-in to condemn the mistreatment of imprisoned journalists and to demand their release.According to RSF’s tally, at least 23 journalists are currently detained. The trial of Mahmoud Abou Zeid, a press photographer also known as Shawkan, finally began on 26 March but was adjourned until 23 April.RSF has meanwhile been unable to obtain any information about the current status of Anwar Al-Sabry, a journalist with the Al-Badil website who was arrested by police at his home on 21 February. His family does not know where he is currently held.Ranked 158th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2015 World Press Freedom Index, Egypt was the world’s fourth biggest prison for journalists in 2015, after China, Eritrea and Iran. Organisation Middle East – North Africa Egypt Condemning abuses Judicial harassment Middle East – North Africa Egypt Condemning abuses Judicial harassment Receive email alerts RSF_en Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff News to go further February 6, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Egypt Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Help by sharing this information Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison April 6, 2016 – Updated on May 19, 2016 RSF condemns warrant for newspaper editor’s arrest February 1, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is appalled by the warrant for the arrest of Khaled El-Balshy, the head of the Journalists Syndicate’s freedoms committee and editor in chief of the independent newspaper Al-Bedaiah. It was issued on 4 April in response to a complaint by the interior ministry. January 22, 2021 Find out more
The government is saying it has prepared several scenarios for after the 14-day quarantine for the 243 people evacuated from Wuhan and other Chinese cities on Sunday to Raden Sadjad airbase in Natuna, Riau Islands, including a possible extension of the quarantine period and evacuation for those who require further medical treatment.The Health Ministry’s disease control and prevention director general, Anung Sugihantono, said if no single evacuee exhibits respiratory disorders or other symptoms related to the coronavirus infection, they would be immediately released after the two-week observation period as the people who were rescued on Sunday had received clearance from Chinese authorities.However, options are on the table if some people need further medical treatment following signs of coronavirus infection, he said. The government evacuated 243 people – 237 Indonesian citizens and a foreigner, plus five Foreign Ministry officials – from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, and other cities on Sunday, using Batik Air Airbus A-330 airplane flying from China to Hang Nadim International Airport in Batam, Riau Islands, before transferring them on three separate Indonesian Military (TNI) flight to Natuna.The number was less than the 245 people originally planned to be taken out of China, as four people were unwilling to leave and three people were declared sick at the time of departure and did not receive clearance from the Chinese government to leave the country.The death toll from the virus in China climbed to 362 as of Monday, Johns Hopkins CSSE reported, exceeding the 349 fatalities in China following the 2002 and 2003 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) outbreak.As of Monday, no cases of infection have been observed in Indonesia, Anung said, with lab test results from 34 people – seven foreigners and 27 Indonesians – showing negative for the coronavirus. “We could extend [the quarantine period] or relocate [the patient] to a more specific place to receive treatment,” Anung told reporters in Jakarta on Monday. “A hospital in Natuna was already prepared but we also anticipate if – hopefully, such a thing will not happen – [the evacuees] need to be relocated to Jakarta should they require such treatment.”As of 8 a.m. on Monday, no returnees – including the flight crew who picked up the evacuees from China – had shown symptoms of coronavirus infection, Health Ministry spokesperson Widyawati said.Health workers continue to periodically examine the conditions of the evacuees at least twice a day, while the government had also made arrangements to ensure the comfort of the evacuees during their two-week quarantine.“According to the last information, our [evacuees] friends cannot communicate with their families because they still use a Chinese telecommunications operator [in their phones]. We are working to set up a wifi network today so that they could communicate with their families,” said Anung. Editor’s note: Paragraph eight of this article has been edited.Topics :
Metro Sport ReporterMonday 23 Mar 2020 1:16 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.5kShares Advertisement Advertisement Arsenal vow to pay all staff until end of April despite no Premier League football Arsenal will continue paying their staff (Picture: Copa/Getty)Arsenal will continue to pay all of their matchday and non-matchday staff until April 30, despite there being no matches due to the coronavirus crisis.There will be no Premier League football until April 30 at the earliest, leaving football club employees – both part-time and full-time – without work during the pandemic.But Arsenal have made a move to ease the financial concerns of their staff by vowing to pay them all even without matches taking place.Arsenal’s managing director Vinai Venkatesham said in a statement: ‘We are truly grateful for the outstanding efforts of all our staff across the club every day. AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTRead the latest updates: Coronavirus news live‘We rely on their tireless service to provide a first-class experience for our fans on matchdays and non-matchdays.‘These are challenging times for everyone, but in particular our casual workers. This gesture is intended to ease their financial uncertainty while football is currently suspended to 30 April 2020. Comment Vinai Venkatesham announced the move (Picture: Getty)‘We are truly grateful for the outstanding efforts of all our staff across the club every day. We rely on their tireless service to provide a first-class experience for our fans, on matchdays and non-matchdays.‘We look forward to welcoming football back to Emirates Stadium as soon as possible.’Arsenal players, meanwhile, will not return to training as was initially planned on Tuesday, although manager Mikel Arteta has recovered from coronavirus.Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.
The Latest: Iowa pauses all workouts amid virus uptick Associated Press Warner is the third 49ers player to be placed on the list this summer. Receiver Richie James Jr. and running back Jeff Wilson Jr. each had short stints on the list early in training camp.___Paris Saint-Germain says two of its players are suspected of being infected with COVID-19.The French champion cites a “reassuring” state of health for the players, who were not identified. They are said to be following the required health protocols.Eight days after losing the Champions League final to Bayern Munich, PSG is not due to start the French season until Sept. 10. The department says there were 93 positive results out of 815 COVID-19 tests taken between last Monday and Sunday. Since the return-to-campus protocol began May 29, there have been 176 positive results and one inconclusive out of more than 2,700 tests.The Hawkeyes are members of the Big Ten Conference, which announced three weeks ago that it would postpone fall sports until the spring.___NFL Players Association President J.C. Tretter is pushing for daily COVID-19 testing during the regular season.The NFL has been conducting daily testing for players throughout training camp and plans to do so through Saturday. “In the spirit of adaptability, expect the NFLPA to push for modifications or updated recommendations — such as the continuation of daily testing — as the season progresses and new information becomes available,” Tretter, the starting center for the Cleveland Browns, posted on the union website. “We will continue to rely on scientific data to inform our approach for combating this virus. As the science evolves, we will evolve with it.”Tretter added he was pleased with the protocols the NFL and NFLPA agreed on for training camps. The league has reported few positive cases in the past month, though it did have 77 false positives a week ago that resulted from contamination at the testing lab.___The San Francisco 49ers have placed linebacker Fred Warner on the reserve/COVID-19 list.Warner didn’t practice on Sunday and then was placed on the COVID-19 list the following day. The list is used for NFL players who either test positive for the coronavirus or have been in close contact with an infected person. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Iowa athletic department is pausing workouts for all sports until after Labor Day following a major uptick in the number of coronavirus cases. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Pollard said if mitigation actions are successful, Iowa State will allow season ticket holders to attend the game against Oklahoma on Oct. 3. He said if it’s determined mitigation measures were not followed adequately at the first game, no fans will be allowed the rest of the season.___North Carolina State says its women’s soccer team won’t play this fall.In a statement Monday, the school said the decision was due to a “depleted roster, the combination of injuries and not all members of its roster returning to Raleigh this semester.” It said N.C. State has notified the Atlantic Coast Conference of its decision.Players will continue to train with a focus on playing in 2021, or for spring competition if that becomes an option. August 31, 2020 ___Champions League quarterfinalist Atalanta says three of its players have tested positive for the coronavirus.The Serie A team says in a brief statement that all three players show no symptoms after the preseason tests and have been isolated.Reserve goalkeeper Marco Sportiello was the only Atalanta player who tested positive during the lockdown.The Italian league starts on Sept. 19. The French league granted PSG’s request for extra days of rest, and the team’s scheduled opening game at Lens was postponed until next week.___Iowa State will allow about 25,000 football fans into Jack Trice Stadium for the Cyclones’ opener against Louisiana-Lafayette on Sept. 12.Athletic director Jamie Pollard wrote in a letter to fans on Monday that the crowd will be made up of season ticket holders only. Fans will be required to wear face coverings at all times and no tailgating will be allowed. Pollard asks that fans respect others’ wishes for physical distancing.“An important factor in the decision to allow fans is our belief that Cyclone fans are willing to adhere to our mitigation measures,” Pollard wrote. “The purpose of this letter is to ask for your support in helping create a safe environment while also providing our team an impactful home field advantage. This is an incredible opportunity for Iowa State University to showcase its ability to successfully navigate the challenges associated with large outdoor events during a pandemic.”